How to Measure Your Kitchen
The First Step In Making Your Dream Kitchen A Reality
Floor plan 1 (FLOOR PLAN)
1. Measure and mark the distance from corner to corner for each wall on the paper.
2. Mark locations on the paper of the door, windows, plumbing, electrical, openings or obstacles.
3. Measure these Horizontally and mark the measurements on the paper, one wall at the time. (Note: Measure windows and doors from the outside of trim edge.)
4. Make sure that all your measurements add up to the overall wall measurement.
Floor plan 2 (ELEVATIONS)
1.Measure and mark the distance from the floor to the ceiling on the paper.
2.Mark the location of the door, windows, plumbing, electrical, openings or obstacles.
3. Measure these Vertically and mark the measurements on the paper, one wall at the time. (Note: Measure windows and doors from the outside of trim edge)
4.If you have soffits, measure the following: Height from floor to bottom of the soffit is ______; Height from ceiling down to bottom of the soffit is _____; Soffit depth is ______;
*Mark all measurements in inches (for example, 7’6” would be 90”).
*How far a door swings into your kitchen may affect cabinet placement, so pay close attention here.
*Soffit space is the bulkhead between the ceiling and the top of the cabinet.
*DOUBLE CHECK YOUR MEASUREMENTS.
Notes On Soffits:
- Soffits for a standard 8 ft ceiling typically begin 84 inches off the kitchen floor, creating a soffit of 12 inches; you can add a quarter inch more if you plan to have 30 inch upper cabinets. If you will not have soffits, you can use a 39 inch wall cabinet or simply leave the space above the wall cabinet open.
-It is suggest to leave 12-15 inches of work space around large appliance like refrigerators, ranges and dishwashers, and 24-36 inches on either side of the sink. You will need at least 40 inches under a window, outlet or switch for base cabinets, counters and a basic 4 inch backsplash.
Appliance sizes Are important!
In order to do a complete kitchen design, we will need to know the exact sizes of all appliances that are going to be used in your new kitchen. If you are going to buy new appliances, the store associate will help you fill out the form.
We recommend the Superstore for all of your appliance needs.
543 Blair Park Road Williston, VT 05495
Phone: (802) 879-4166